EPSB letter details how school division will allocate COVID-19 funding from feds



A 2020 file photo taken inside an Edmonton school.


© Eric Beck/ Global News
A 2020 file photo taken inside an Edmonton school.

Edmonton Public Schools superintendent Darrel Robertson sent a letter to parents of students on Monday that outlines how his school division plans to spend money that the federal government has made available to support the safe reopening of schools during the COVID-19 pandemic.

“Edmonton Public Schools will receive $37.4 million of this funding, which is just over three per cent of our operating budget,” the letter reads. “These are welcome funds for our division.

“We are faced with many unexpected costs for the 2020-2021 school year because of COVID-19.”

READ MORE: Coronavirus: Ottawa giving provinces $2B for back-to-school safety 

Watch below: (From Aug. 26, 2020) The federal government is making $2 billion available to help Canada’s schools reopen amid the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.

Last month, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced his government would be giving Canada’s

Read More

Letter: School Board Member: Let’s stop the blame game and get on with education

It has been very rough going for Miami-Dade County Schools district — which, of course, affects the entire community — for the past three weeks.

Miami-Dade County Public Schools Superintendent Alberto M. Carvalho and our workforce’s leadership inured us of glad tidings for years — until the past three weeks, when our entire community suffered the 2020-2021 school year’s virtual opening using the K-12 My School Online platform.

Besides the fiasco, fatigue, and frustration this experience brought our students, parents, teachers, and administrators, things were not made better by some voices clamoring the message: heads must roll!

In fact, the enemy of the launch was time — not good people working hard with good intentions.

Complex, computer-related functions under a compressed schedule caused users much suffering.

The CEO of K-12 My School Online, Nate Davis, took responsibility for the system’s malfunction. He said K-12 failed Superintendent Carvalho and his administrators.

Read More

Open letter to Biden and Harris: How to undo damage DeVos did to public education

In some bit of irony, Trump and DeVos pushed the public schools that they have disparaged to open for the 2020-2021 school year, and at one point threatened to withhold federal funding from those that did not. (They didn’t have the power to withhold funding already approved by Congress.)

Biden, vice president under President Barack Obama and now the Democratic presidential nominee, and his running mate, Sen. Kamala D. Harris (D-Calif.), have both savaged the Trump-DeVos education agenda. And they have said they would try to make the education system more equitable for underserved students.

This post is an open letter to Biden and DeVos from Chris Reykdal, the Washington state superintendent of public instruction, offering 10 steps that Reykdal said would help set a foundation for a more equitable school system.

An Open Letter to the Biden-Harris Ticket:

Mr. Vice President and Senator Harris, there is so much at

Read More