Federal funding threatened over transgender athlete policy – News – Milford Daily News

HARTFORD, Conn. — The U.S. Department of Education is threatening to withhold some federal funding from Connecticut school districts if they follow a state policy that allows transgender girls to compete as girls in high school sports.

In response to a complaint filed last year by several cisgender female track athletes who argued that two transgender female runners had an unfair physical advantage, the federal agency’s office for civil rights determined in May that Connecticut’s policy violates the civil rights of athletes who are not transgender.

School districts including New Haven, as well as the Capitol Region Education Council, were asked around the beginning of September to sign a document to receive grants from a program for magnet schools that states they will “not participate in any interscholastic sporting events” unless the Connecticut Interscholastic Athletic Conference changes its policy on transgender athletes.

The Federal Magnet Schools Assistance Program Grants are

Read More

Federal funding threatened over Connecticut transgender policy

The U.S. Department of Education is following through on its threat to withhold federal funding from Connecticut school districts that follow a statewide policy allowing transgender girls to compete on high school girls athletic teams, the Associated Press reported.

The department decided in May the policy violates the civil rights of student-athletes assigned female at birth and therefore violates Title IX laws. It said then it may withhold funding from schools and districts named in the complaint that continue to follow the policy.

A complaint was filed in June of 2019 by three cisgender female runners alleging the policy was “unfair” and cost them top finishes at the state meet and thereby chances at college scholarships.

Department of Education threatens to withhold school funding

School districts first became aware of potential withholdings at the beginning of September when they were asked to sign a document to receive grants. The document

Read More

Malawi journalists threatened over commentary on education policies amid COVID-19

Beginning on August 18, 2020, unidentified social media users in Malawi have threatened journalists Stevie Kondwa Banda and George Kasakula over their commentary on the coronavirus pandemic, according to the journalists, who spoke to CPJ via messaging app.

On August 18, Facebook and WhatsApp users began sending messages to Banda, a reporter for the privately owned Mibawa Television broadcaster, calling him an “enemy of teachers” and threatening to “deal with” his six-year-old daughter when she returned to school, he told CPJ.

The messages followed an August 18 broadcast of Banda’s “Gwedegwede” (“To Shake”) current affairs show, in which he said that teachers should not receive the type of special allowances provided to medical practitioners amid the pandemic, Banda told CPJ.

Chawezi Banda, a deputy production manager at Mibawa Television, who also appeared on “Gwedegwede” on August 18, confirmed in calls and messages to CPJ that commenters threatened to take action

Read More