Skills development programme-Phase II for Northeastern provinces launched

The Ministry of Tourism has launched the second phase of Skills Development Programme (SDP) for the northeastern provinces – Kratie, Stung Treng, Preah Vihear, Rattanakiri and Mondulkiri.

The launching ceremony took place in Mondulkiri province late last week in the presence of Pak Sokhom, Secretary of State for Tourism and Head of the Hospitality for Kampuchea (HoKa) Training Programme Management Commission; Mr. Cheak Mengheang, Deputy Governor of Mondulkiri province; and Mr. Christian Volker Ide, Team Leader of SDP at Swisscontact.

The second phase of SDP (2020-2024) will lay stress on tourism vocational training on HoKa for youths so that they can grasp decent job opportunities and improve their living standard, said Mr Sokhom, adding that the programme will also increase human capital in tourism sector while Mondulkiri and other northeastern provinces have seen increase in the number of tourists lately.

For his part, Mr Mengheang lauded the SDP underlining that

Read More

SDP launches tourism sector skills development project in rural provinces

The Ministry of Tourism has announced the launch of the second phase of the Skills Development Programme (SDP) – funded by the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC) – between 2020-2024 in the provinces of Kratie, Stung Treng, Preah Vihear, Ratanakiri and Mondulkiri.

The programme will focus on providing vocational training for young, low-skilled professionals across the five provinces aimed at boosting incomes and developing human resources in the tourism sector.

The launch took place on Friday at Mondulkiri Provincial Hall and was presided over by a Secretary of State of the Ministry of Tourism Pak Sokhom, deputy governor of Mondulkiri province Cheak Mengheang and director of SDP of the Swiss Confederation Christian Volker Ide.

Speaking at the launch, Sokhom said that Phase 2 of the SDP will target tourism  sector vocational education and training, especially in hospitality.

“The programme will help young men and women to develop real

Read More

Coronavirus: Ottawa giving provinces $2B for back-to-school safety

OTTAWA — The federal government is providing up to $2 billion in additional funding to help provinces and territories ensure that kids can safely return to class this fall.

The money is on top of $19 billion Ottawa has already promised to help them cope with the ongoing impact the COVID-19 pandemic is having on their economies and health-care systems.

Read more:
Lockdowns and a second wave? What the coronavirus pandemic could look like this fall

Education is not a federal responsibility and provinces are responsible for their own school reopening plans, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Wednesday, but he said he also wanted to calm the fears of parents by ensuring the provinces have additional resources to make schools safe.

“Over the past week or so I’ve heard from so many Liberal MPs, so many parents across the country who are still extremely worried about how that reopening is

Read More

Alberta school boards appreciate federal funding but some ‘disappointed’ by province’s response



The federal government announced Aug. 26, 2020 it would spend up to $2 billion to help provinces and territories prepare for safe school re-entry this fall.


© Jennifer Sinco Kelleher / AP Photo
The federal government announced Aug. 26, 2020 it would spend up to $2 billion to help provinces and territories prepare for safe school re-entry this fall.

While many of Alberta’s school districts are expressing gratitude for $2 billion from Ottawa to help prepare for safe re-entry into schools as restrictions remain in place because of COVID-19, some say the support should be coming from the provincial government instead.

Read more: Coronavirus: Ottawa giving provinces $2B for back-to-school safety

“Classes for Edmonton Public Schools begin next week, and our board has been advocating to the province for additional funding to support the safest return to school possible,” EPSB chair Trisha Estabrooks said in a statement.

“Today’s federal announcement of $2 billion to support schools across the country is appreciated.

“However, I want to be very clear — education is a provincial responsibility, and we

Read More