PORTLAND, Maine (AP) — State officials have opened an investigation into an outbreak of coronavirus that forced a school to move into full-time remote learning mode, the Maine Center for Disease Control and Prevention said Tuesday.
The outbreak at Sanford High School and Sanford Regional Technical Center has affected a dozen people so far, Maine CDC director Nirav Shah said. He declined to say how many of the affected people are students and how many are school staff.
The Sanford investigation is the first the state has opened at a public school, Shah said. Sanford Superintendent Matt Nelson has said in a letter to the community that the school will be in remote mode for at least two weeks.
The school is located in York County, which has been the site of several coronavirus outbreaks in recent weeks.