The Indiana State Department of Health reported 68 additional confirmed deaths over the last week, bringing the state’s total to 3,140. The state announced more than 99,000 total confirmed cases – including two days with more than 1,000 reported cases – and more than 1.5 million Hoosiers tested.
State Exploring Impact Of New Federal Eviction Moratorium
Indiana is evaluating how Hoosiers will be affected by the recent eviction moratorium issued by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
The federal moratorium is effective until the end of December. Indiana Housing and Community Development Executive Director Jacob Sipe said there are several criteria people must meet in order to avoid evictions.
First, people have to at least apply for as much governmental assistance as possible. Second, the moratorium only applies to people who will make less than $99,000 this year or $198,000 for those filing jointly.
Indiana is making free job training available for up to 100,000 Hoosiers who had their work affected by the pandemic. The courses will be delivered online through an Indianapolis-based company called 180 Skills.
The online courses can take up to three months to complete and earn an industry-recognized certification. Many courses focus on advanced manufacturing skills, but others teach job interview skills and how to use Microsoft Office. Each course is free to the user, but costs the state around $30 a person. It’s part of the state’s Rapid Recovery plan for workers.
Nancy Davisson, with the Department of Workforce Development, said the online courses complement other short-term certification programs like the state’s Workforce Ready Grants
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — The Indiana State Board of Education approved a method to maintain funding for schools reopening virtually this fall after warnings of possible cuts from lawmakers last month.
The unanimously approved plan allows the state to use data from the last student count in February to determine whether schools should receive full funding for their students, regardless of whether those students are receiving instruction virtually or in the classroom this semester.
School budgets won’t be penalized for students learning virtually this fall, as long as the students weren’t enrolled in a full-time virtual education program on the last enrollment count day.
“I am pleased the State Board of Education took action to implement the Department’s original guidance to provide 100 percent funding for impacted students who receive virtual instruction
Although Holcomb and other state leaders promised in June that schools would remain fully funded during the pandemic regardless of whether students are attending class in-person or online, Bray’s notice put millions of dollars in school funding on the line, given that dozens of school districts around the state decided to start the school year entirely online.
Under the board of education’s new plan, the fall student count day will happen as planned on Sept 18, but school budgets won’t be penalized for offering instruction only online.
Students will not be counted as “virtual” — meaning schools won’t see the 15% reduction in basic per student funding — as long as they were not enrolled in a full-time virtual education program on the previous enrollment count day. Students who attended school virtually in February and remain virtual students now will continue to be funded at the 85% level.
Exercising special power granted during the pandemic, Indiana education officials rewrote school funding rules Wednesday to prevent cuts for virtual learning due to the coronavirus.
The State Board of Education created a new rule to address funding for students who would normally be in classrooms but are learning online because of the pandemic—including students in hybrid or all-virtual options, and those at schools that haven’t reopened for in-person instruction. The state will fully fund those students this fall, as though they were attending in-person.
The change aims to keep school funding steady through the pandemic and comes in response to a recent warning that schools could receive reduced state support if they don’t return to in-person learning.
Without the new rule, schools would see their per-student funding drop to 85% for online students—a loss that would equate, for example, to $28 million for Indianapolis Public Schools, which is staying all-virtual
Cindy Johnston, first-grade teacher at St. Stanislaus School in Michigan City, Ind., reminds her students to maintain a safe physical distance while they line up in the hallway to use the restroom during class on Friday, Aug. 28, 2020. This was the first week of school for many parochial school students in Michigan City. (Kelley Smith/The News Dispatch via AP) less
Cindy Johnston, first-grade teacher at St. Stanislaus School in Michigan City, Ind., reminds her students to maintain a safe physical distance while they line up in the hallway to use the restroom during class … more
Photo: Kelley Smith, AP
Cindy Johnston, first-grade teacher at St. Stanislaus School in Michigan City, Ind., reminds her students to maintain a safe physical distance while they line up in the hallway to use the restroom during class on
INDIANAPOLIS– Indiana schools may lose funding if they don’t provide an in-person option this semester.
Back in June, Indiana Governor Eric Holcomb told schools they would be spared the knife and get funded 100 percent.
That’s up in the air now, for some districts.
Senate President Pro Tempore State Sen. Rodric Bray (R) sent a letter to schools Thursday explaining why.
Dear School Leaders, As schools across Indiana make preparations for and begin to return to school, I want to express my appreciation for the effort our schools have made to get back to the business of educating our children. The last few months have been incredibly challenging. I am also aware the next several weeks may be equally as challenging as we observe how effective the precautions and protocols put in place
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — Indiana’s public schools would be assured of full state funding for the rest of this year under a plan announced by the governor Wednesday to sidestep a warning from a top fellow Republican that schools could face a 15% cut if they didn’t hold in-person classes.
Republican Gov. Eric Holcomb said he and GOP legislative leaders would ask the State Board of Education to delay an updated count of student enrollment until at least December — a step that will put off any changes in the state money going to school districts.
Holcomb said that would give assurances to school officials that decisions to hold only online classes to stem the spread of coronavirus infections would not deal a blow to their finances.
“Ideally, we want them in a classroom, but we want them in