Sept 15 (Reuters) – The England & Wales Cricket Board (ECB) is planning to make 62 positions within the organisation redundant due to the economic impact of the COVID-19 pandemic, chief executive Tom Harrison said on Tuesday.
With professional cricket in the country suspended for several months due to the coronavirus, Harrison said the game had sustained losses of more than 100 million pounds ($128.92 million).
That figure could rise to 200 million pounds if there is further disruption to the calendar next year.
The sport’s new competition, The Hundred, was expected to add 11 million pounds of revenue to the game in its first year but it was postponed until 2021.
“The entire cricket network has pulled together to get us through this challenge so far and overcoming it will mean continuing to make tough decisions as we have done this year,” Harrison said in a statement.