Lagundi trial gets green light, virgin coconut oil seen to reduce risk of coronavirus

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, August 29) — The Food and Drug Administration approved clinical trials for herbal medicine ‘lagundi’ as a supplement coronavirus treatment, Science and Technology Secretary Fortunato dela Peña announced Saturday.

De la Peña said in a briefing that participants will be around 200 COVID-19 patients with mild symptoms and admitted at the Quezon Institute quarantine center, Sta. Ana Hospital, and Philippine National Police-National Capital Region community quarantine center.

Experts from the Philippine General Hospital will lead the medical research.

“Ang hangad natin ay ma-address ang symptoms gaya ng ubo, lagnat at mga sore throat,” De la Peña said.

[Translation: We hope that lagundi could address symptoms such as cough, fever and sore throat.]

He added that the research will also try to find out if ‘lagundi’ may reduce severity of symptoms.

Other clinical trials

The FDA has yet to approve the studies which aim to look into

Read More

Education groups in South Dakota say containing coronavirus a ‘nightmare’

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. — Representatives of South Dakota school boards, administrators and teachers told lawmakers on Wednesday that trying to manage coronavirus infections among students and staff has so far been a “nightmare.”

As the number of coronavirus infections in schools has grown, administrators have found themselves trying to balance keeping schools open, protecting students and staff and considering the legal liability they could face if they don’t do enough to prevent infections, said Wade Pogany, the director of the Associated School Boards of South Dakota.

Administrators have taken on the extra work of assisting contact tracing investigations from the Department of Health to keep track of which students could be exposed to someone with an infection. Pogany called an “overwhelming process” that has heaped stress on school staff trying to keep classrooms open.

“It’s just a nightmare,” he said.

Read More

Maine Focuses on Outdoor Education During Coronavirus

PORTLAND, Maine—Teachers and students in Maine’s largest district have returned to classes this week. Brooke Teller, a science, technology, engineering and math coach here, would normally be spending this time administering new science curricula and coordinating professional development meetings. Instead, her schedule is mostly filled with the delivery of hundreds of tree stumps and sturdy plastic buckets for outdoor classroom space.

Like many other districts in Maine, Portland Public Schools has responded to the ongoing COVID-19 crisis by pivoting to a hybrid model: Children in kindergarten through ninth grade will be attending smaller classes twice a week (older high school students are still learning remotely). To allow for social distancing, the district has also created outdoor classrooms at each of its 16 schools. Working with local architects, the district identified suitable outdoor areas and installed tents or other shade structures to accommodate changing weather. Each student will be given

Read More

Coronavirus Today: The other education divide

Good evening. I’m Faith E. Pinho, and it’s Tuesday, Sept. 15. Here’s what’s happening with the coronavirus in California and beyond.

Six months after the pandemic shuttered schools, tens of thousands of students in Los Angeles County still don’t have adequate access to the technology they need for distance learning. Districts are without nearly 50,000 computers and WiFi hotspots, and many districts that have fully supplied students with equipment are sometimes struggling with dropped calls, choppy audio and unstable Internet connections that interrupt students’ learning.

The need for technology that works is greater now than it was in the spring, when the pandemic forced

Read More

Unemployment rate hits 4.1% as 700,000 workers lose their jobs since coronavirus struck in March



a man wearing a suit and tie


© Provided by Evening Standard


Stats show 700,000 UK workers have been removed from the payrolls of British companies since March when the country went into lockdown as unemployment hit 4.1% today.

“Around 695,000 jobs lost since March as unemployment rises”

UP NEXT

UP NEXT

The figures are for the three months from May to July and are worse than the quarter to June when the rate stood at 3.9%.

There are growing fears that unemployment could worsen over the coming months as the Government’s furlough scheme comes to an end.

The stats post a grim picture as the thousands of layoffs since lockdown lifted underscore the damage caused by the pandemic.

Businesses in industries such as retail, aerospace, tourism, aviation and media have been among those to lay off huge proportions of their workforce.

The Office for National Statistics said young workers had been particularly hard hit by

Read More

North Dakota’s coronavirus education campaign delayed

Updated

BISMARCK, N.D. (AP) — An education campaign aimed at persuading North Dakotans to wear masks and practice social distancing still has not begun more than a month after $1.8 million in federal coronavirus aid was approved for the effort.

The campaign had been set to start Monday, the same day North Dakota set a record for active COVID-19 cases statewide. Nicole Peske, a state Health Department spokeswoman, said three of the 10 private firms that submitted bids for education effort had equal proposals under the state’s scoring system, which has delayed the effort for at least another week.


“I don’t think anybody wants to move forward on this more than we do,” Peske said Tuesday. “We did have a rare three-way tie … every step of process is time consuming and there are time frames we legally have

Read More

Coronavirus cases reported at 172 schools in Quebec, education ministry says



a little girl that is standing in the grass: The government started resuming published school-linked COVID-19 data on Tuesday.


© REUTERS/Christinne Muschi
The government started resuming published school-linked COVID-19 data on Tuesday.

There is at least one case of the novel coronavirus in 172 schools across Quebec, the province’s education ministry announced Tuesday.

The government’s latest figures, which date from last week, show that there are 283 cases of COVID-19 in preschool, elementary and high schools as well as adult education centres.

To date, there are 217 students — the majority of whom attend public schools — who have contracted the virus. Officials say 66 staff members have tested positive for the new coronavirus.

There are 2,685 schools in Quebec and more than one million students who attend them.

When asked about cases in schools, Education Minister Jean-François Roberge said the province will maintain its current preventive measures in schools.

“Our plan is to stick to our plan,” he told reporters in Quebec City.

READ MORE: Quebec temporarily halts

Read More

Scientists say insect repellent kills the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus on surfaces

The coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic is ravaging across the globe and has now infected more than 24.1 million people and claimed over 825,000 lives. There is no known vaccine or treatment for COVID-19, caused by the severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), but physical distancing, proper hand hygiene, and wearing of masks are known ways to prevent infection.

Now, a team of scientists at Britain’s Defence Science and Technology Laboratory (DSTL) has shared preliminary findings of their research, showing that a product in insect repellent can kill the SARS-CoV-2 virus.

Defense scientists conducted the study to see if insect repellents would provide a protective layer against COVID-19, which contains Citridiol, a clinically proven insect repellent that is naturally sourced and a flagship product of Citrefine International Ltd.

Insect repellent study

In the study, which has not yet been externally peer-reviewed, DSTL was tasked by MoD Surgeon General to examine

Read More

Coronavirus: School cases to be expected – education minister

Media playback is unsupported on your device

Media captionPupils at Olfcha Comprehensive get used to new systems at school

Groups of children being told to self-isolate due to school Covid cases is to be expected, according to the education minister.

Since term began, dozens of schools have reported cases and entire year groups have self-isolated.

Pupils are being grouped together in “bubbles” in an attempt to limit the spread of the virus in the case of an outbreak.

Kirsty Williams thanked affected schools for their “immediate action”.

After a staggered start to the term, all year groups are due back full time from Monday.

Government guidance to schools says they should group pupils together and avoid contact between groups as much as possible, but how this is done will depend on each individual school.

What’s happening in schools across Wales?

Image copyright
Getty Images

Public Health Wales data released

Read More

Coronavirus: Ottawa giving provinces $2B for back-to-school safety

OTTAWA — The federal government is providing up to $2 billion in additional funding to help provinces and territories ensure that kids can safely return to class this fall.

The money is on top of $19 billion Ottawa has already promised to help them cope with the ongoing impact the COVID-19 pandemic is having on their economies and health-care systems.

Read more:
Lockdowns and a second wave? What the coronavirus pandemic could look like this fall

Education is not a federal responsibility and provinces are responsible for their own school reopening plans, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Wednesday, but he said he also wanted to calm the fears of parents by ensuring the provinces have additional resources to make schools safe.

“Over the past week or so I’ve heard from so many Liberal MPs, so many parents across the country who are still extremely worried about how that reopening is

Read More